Psychotherapy for Individuals, Adults, Adolescents, or Children

Individual therapy services are provided for adults, adolescents, and children. Therapy sessions typically consist of face to face meetings between the therapist and individual. It is the role of the therapist to help the client develop skills for building healthy, satisfying, and long-lasting relationships with themselves and others and help overcome presenting difficulties. Often, throughout a person’s therapeutic endeavor, the therapist will combine different therapeutic techniques or approaches to best fit the client and issues at hand. All techniques involve talking with your therapist with the goal of seeking to understand and resolve your difficulties together.

Psychotherapy provides a safe space for you to review your life and explore how you relate to others in your personal and professional life.  Therapy is a place to be honest with yourself and explore deep feelings so you are able to live the satisfying life you deserve.

The first few sessions will be an assessment period where the focus will be on looking at the presenting issue and situation in the context of the individual’s relationships with themselves and others.  Treatment will include exploration of alternative ways to deal with the problems identified and/or to provide a renewed focus.

Individual therapy for children and adolescents may vary slightly. There may be less of a focus on “talk therapy” and more of an eclectic approach to treatment, depending on the needs of the client. However, it is equally important for the parents to work with the therapist, as only 10% of the work is done weekly in the office, and the other 90% of the work is done at home/in the community.

Please see What is Psychotherapy for a better understanding of the many different therapeutic approaches that may be used in psychotherapy.